River trips in Grand Canyon range from 3 - 18 days with many options in between. Each outfitter offers something a little different. You have many decisions to make to determine which type of trip and which outfitter is right for you. To make your selection, you might want to consider questions like:
1. WHAT TYPE OF RAFT DO YOU WANT? Do you want to do a trip on a large motorize raft (generally seating between 12 - 18 people with one or two guides), or do you prefer a much smaller oar powered row boat, wooden dorey, or paddle boat (generally seating between 4 - 6 people with one guide)? Some outfitters offer only oar powered trips. They are listed in YELLOW. Some outfitters offer both oar and motorized trips and they are listed in GREEN. One outfitter offers only motorized trips and is listed in BLUE.
2. WHEN DO YOU WANT TO GO? The commercial rafting season at Grand Canyon operates each year from April through October. Oar powered trips operate the entire season, and motorized trips launch only between April 1st through September 15th. Weather conditions and temperatures vary and should also be considered. Seats are limited and fill rather quickly and it is not uncommon for trips to be sold out a year in advance.
3. HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU HAVE? The Grand Canyon is 277 miles long. All trips launch at Lees Ferry, but you have the option of starting or ending your trip at one of four different locations.
4. SPECIALTY TRIPS - Many outfitters offer certain specialty trips throughout the season. Some are focused on extensive hiking excursions along the way. Others might offer trips focused on geology, archeology, art, music, or even photography. Be sure to ask your Outfitter if they offer anything specialty trips that might be a perfect fit for you!
5. CHARTER TRIPS - Every outfitter would be happy to accommodate your large group with a special charter! You can then determine the date, trip type, duration, etc. Ask your outfitter for details.
NOW YOU ARE READY TO CONTACT AN OUTFITTER! You can visit each outfitter's website by following the links listed here on this page. They are all happy to answer further questions and explained in much more detail what they offer and help you select your river trip.
Join us on Facebook and keep up to date with all the news
All companies listed on this website are officially licensed and authorized concessioners of the National Park Service to provide multi-day whitewater rafting trips within the Grand Canyon National Park.